December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

Today we woke up freezing. I attempted to take a shower, but again it was too cold so I just washed my hair. After getting ready, Nicole and I went up the main building to have some complimentary breakfast. The view was beautiful. The sky was clear and it overlooked the property. We sat in front of the windows and witness multiple hummingbirds visiting the feeders. After eating breakfast, we went on a hike in one of the trails on the property. The trail was beautiful, it was full of all sorts of plants. I felt like I was in the movie Tarzan. My favorite were the bamboo and ferns. I got tired easily because I wasn't fully used to the elevation. After leaving La Georgina, we went to Paramo for another short hike. From Paramo we headed to Las Cruces Biological Station in San Vito.
After arriving at the Biological Station, we took a short tour, since we arrived there a few days late. Nicole and I then met our roommate, Kate. Shortly after, Kate and I met with our mentor to go on a hike. Our mentor was Bridgett Chapin, she is a professor at Haskell University. During the hike, we introduced ourselves more and discussed our research projects. They filled me in on what they had been discussing the days prior. We walked and scoped out possible bromeliad that could be used for our research. As we were coming back from the hike, Kassandra spotted us and let us know there were monkeys in the trees close by. They were eating the lichen off of the trees. This was amazing to see the monkeys in their natural element, instead of in zoos.
Late that night, everyone met for dinner. This is the moment I started to meet and see everyone else in the CRiRE program. After dinner, everyone met in the room behind the reception area to properly introduce themselves. We were to say our names, where we were from, our schools, our majors and anything else we felt like sharing. A few people introduced themselves in their native languages. That was my favorite part. It was amazing to hear all of the other beautiful languages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 18, 2018

December 8-9, 2018